Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Aussies Sure Like Their Sports

So, I thought that Americans enjoyed their sports - and to be sure, they do.  But, not with the same...let's say, enthusiasm, as the Aussies.  And, I'm now convinced that they'll watch (and love) any sport.  As I mentioned in previous post, I was amazed at how much the baseball spectators loved the game, even though (at least many of those around me) didn't know the rules so well.  I'm also equally surprised about the enthusiasm for American football from many people I talk to (mostly in the gym) - only to realize they don't know most of the rules (but to be fair, football has many).  I actually had to demonstrate "holding."  I think I did a pretty good job of it, but then someone asked me why the penalty is 10 yards; I was stuck there.  Oh, yeah, then I had to take some grief about the field still being in yards and not meters.

But focus again on cricket.

Ben and I arrived in Australia in time for the Ashes.  Don't know what the Ashes is, that's OK, we didn't either.  You can be certain that we do now.  It's only the most important sporting event on the planet.  Wikipedia has a pretty good description of the Ashes at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes.  Anyway, the Ashes went on, and on, and on for what felt like weeks (actually it really may have been weeks).  Well, I thought the Aussies lost.  But, apparently they didn't just lose, they suffered an absolutely humiliating defeat, one that has shaken the very core of Australian sport.  Sounds dramatic?  Well, it is.  But, it's also true.  Truth is, I missed the Ashes as the match provided no-sound-needed entertainment while on the treadmill everyday (you really, really don't need sound when watching cricket).  In addition, most of you know that I don't always sleep well.  And apparently, an entire day of cricket broadcasting is not enough.  Replaying all night is required.  Helps with insomnia.  In that respect, cricket is as valuable as golf.  Before you golfies get upset  -- seriously, what's worse, laying in bed unable to sleep, or watching golf on TV -- now be honest, it's golf...on TV.

Then, before I knew it, the Ashes tests were over.  Back to insomnia and watching the news (I know, news is good).  Then, to my delight, what should appear?  Women's Ashes.  That should take me all the way through the rest of my stay here (well, not really, I have three more weeks, but it may be close).

No comments:

Post a Comment