Friday, December 17, 2010

The Left Side Just Isn't Working

We made it - Living in a Land Down Under.  We arrived yesterday morning (Friday), about 6:30am (australia time).  I think that's 11:30am PST (Thursday).  Made it through customs (they even let me keep my popcorn, SMCRLs be happy about that).  Rented our car - LOVE the car.  It's tiny, so it makes me feel tall.  But, then I actually had to drive the car.  Won't lie - it was UGLY getting out of the Sydney airport and onto the first real road (because that required a right turn, but remember i'm driving on the left side).  Felt a bit better when we were on the highway.  But, from the back seat I kept hearing: "mom what's that noise?"  Well, the noise was me driving on the bumps that warn you when you're driving off the highway. Seems that even though I knew logically where I was supposed to be in the lane, I kept trying to position myself on the left side of the lane (i.e. when driving NORMALLY).
Made our way to Canberra - and in city driving again.  Again, kept hearing driving-related banter from the back seat.  This time (and every time I turned), it was "just follow that car in front of you mom, then you'll turn correctly).

Today is better.  Driving home from shopping (next post will include a photo of our nifty silver 4' Christmas tree) I heard: "you're getting better at the driving mom."  Success!!

Going swimming now and then opening a nice south Australian Shiraz.

2 comments:

  1. It'll get better on the road, but Christmas in the middle of summer is a stretch. The silver tree sounds perfect. Have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The driving does get better - Andrew had it down in Scotland but had 2 of us in the car saying: "left, left, left" a lot. Take care! Lisa

    ReplyDelete