Friday, February 4, 2011

Bringing Ugly Back

In many ways, Australia is similar to the United States - style of dress, love of sports, driving culture, shopping culture, language (though my next post will include my running list of Australian - English translations).  And, for the most part, when I notice differences, they're reasonable.  With one important exception - the El Camino.  You remember the El Camino?  Of course you do.  The best thing about the El Camino is that it can bring people together in an unusual way - it's probably everyone's top-of-the-list ugliest car.  Apparently, this particular car aesthetic is a profound cultural divide.

Australia has brought ugly back.  

Now, it's not called the El Camino; but it is one.  And, I'm not talking about a bunch of old El Caminos driving around.  No.  Australia loves the El Camino so much that you can buy a new one - one that has actually been recently manufactured.  I'm serious.  Many of you won't believe me.  I've tried to get a photo of one, but by the time I get my camera ready, it has driven off.  This is now the top of my to-do list for my remaining days.
Check back in hopes of getting a sight of the newly resurrected Aussie version of the El Camino.

Addendum:  Ben and I went out and decided to snap some shots of El Caminos.  We limited the search to a single outing, during which we drove about 5 miles and saw an estimated 20 El Caminos.  Unfortunately, we saw most of them while we were driving and couldn't get a photo.  Though we did get two parked (photos below).  We missed photos of the best ones, including, but not limited to:  metallic mustard, canary yellow, chartreuse, black and gold, red white and blue (no, that's not a red one, a white one, and a blue one, I mean all three in one El Camino - it was fantastic), and the best - navy with yellow, orange, and red flames.



No comments:

Post a Comment